The FCUL-Libraries network is made up of the Library and the Departmental Extensions
The Library's catalogue spans all of FCUL's areas of knowledge. The Library offers several services to its users, and is now open for longer hours.
It has a main reading room with 124 seats, and three group study rooms:
- 4.2.11 (26 seats);
- 4.2.12 (24 seats);
- 4.2.13 (32 seats);
- 4.2.14 is fitted with equipment suited for the blind.
It also has three study rooms/students' spaces (4.3.33, 4.3.34 and 4.3.35) on Level 3 (must be booked).
It is difficult to accurately determine the origin of the current Library. It is, however, certain that its first document collection belonged to the Jesuit's Casa do Noviciado (House of the Novitiates) library, at the place that was then called 'Cotovia'.
This collection was continually improved upon and updated, for it was at the Casa do Noviciado that the Jesuit novitiates took their first steps in the Society of Jesus and that future missionaries leaving for the East were instructed. The collection was transferred, in 1761, to the at-the-time recently concluded Real Colégio dos Nobres, which received the entire collection of all the Society's libraries before the Jesuits were banned from Portugal and the Society abolished. Later, the public libraries of the Santo Antão (and other) Convents and the Casa de São Roque were also added to this collection.
On 4 January 1838, the Real Colégio dos Nobres (Royal College of Nobles) was closed by legal decree, and on 21 January the building it used to occupy was transferred to the Polytechnic School. The contents of that library were very likely those of the original Library.
In 1911, one year after the Republic had been declared, the "Foundations of the New University Constitution" established that a Faculty of Sciences would be set up in the University of Lisbon. It opened in the same building as the abolished Polytechnic School, and thus inherited all its assets, including the Library.
The Faculty of Sciences is thus heir to a valuable document archive of undeniable historical and scientific worth.
When the Library moved from its old installations on Rua da Escola Politécnica to Campo Grande in 1993, a protocol was established with the Science Museum Board, whereby any works produced up to 1936 would be stored there and made publicly available under the agreed terms.
Opening hours and Where we are
|Where we are||Rooms||Opening hours|
Saturdays (only during exam periods)
8 am - 8 pm
|Extension||Building||Rooms||Opening hours (working days)|
|10 am - 12.30 pm
2 pm - 6 pm
|Statistics and Operational Research||C6||6.4.2
|9.30 am - 1 pm
2 pm - 5.30 pm
|Geology||C6||6.4.42||9.30 am - 12.30 pm
2 pm - 5 pm
|Mathematics||C6||6.1.21||10 am - 12.30 pm
1.30 pm - 5.30 pm
José Pinto Peixoto / IDL Library
Opening hours (working days): 9am - 5 pm (more info)
Where we are
Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon
Campo Grande, Building C4, Level 2, 1749-016 Lisboa
Tel. 217 500 000 Ext. 24206 Fax. 217 500 430
Lic. Ana Cristina Fraga
Tel. 217 500 004 Ext. 24323
Tel. 217 500 000 Ext. 24206
Referencing and Research Support Service
Tel. 217 500 000 Ext. 24206
Mestre Luís Miguel Corujo
Tel. 217 500 000 Ext. 24327
Building C8 Library
Tel. 217 500 000 Ext. 28181
Tel. 217 500 000
Statistics and Operational Research (Building C6)
Lic. Ana Teresa Santos
Margarida Mateus Silva
Geology (Building C6)
Lic. Marisa Santos firstname.lastname@example.org
Mathematics (Building C6)
Cristina Bernardino email@example.com