- Guerreiro, J., Sato, D., Ahmetovic, D., Ohn-Bar, E., Kitani, K. M., & Asakawa, C. (2020). Virtual navigation for blind people: Transferring route knowledge to the real-World. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 135, 102369.
- Guerreiro, J., Sato, D., Asakawa, S., Dong, H., Kitani, K. M., & Asakawa, C. (2019, October). CaBot: Designing and Evaluating an Autonomous Navigation Robot for Blind People. In The 21st International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility (pp. 68-82).
- Guerreiro, J., Ahmetovic, D., Sato, D., Kitani, K., & Asakawa, C. (2019, May). Airport accessibility and navigation assistance for people with visual impairments. In Proceedings of the 2019 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 1-14).
- Guerreiro, J., Ahmetovic, D., Kitani, K. M., & Asakawa, C. (2017, October). Virtual navigation for blind people: Building sequential representations of the real-world. In Proceedings of the 19th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility (pp. 280-289).
- Guerreiro, J., & Gonçalves, D. (2015, October). Faster Text-to-Speeches: Enhancing Blind People's Information Scanning with Faster Concurrent Speech. In Proceedings of the 17th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers & Accessibility (pp. 3-11).
ContactosDepartamento de Informática
Ext. Principal 26393
Carreira Docente Universitário
Categoria Professor Auxiliar
João Guerreiro is an Assistant Professor at the Informatics Department at Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa and an integrated researcher at LASIGE. Previously, he was a Postdoctoral resesearcher at INESC-ID Lisboa, after being a Postdoctoral Researcher and a Project Scientist at Carnegie Mellon University for almost three years. He received his PhD with distinction and honour in Information Systems and Computer Engineering from Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade de Lisboa. His research, in the fields of Human-Computer Interaction and Accessible Computing, aims to improve blind people’s access to the physical and digital world using novel non-visual interaction techniques and systems. In particular, his current work aims to support independent orientation and mobility of blind people using both navigation systems for real-time assistance and virtual navigation for providing prior knowledge of an environment.
João Guerreiro publishes his research regularly at the premiere venues in Human-Computer Interaction and Accessible Computing – ACM CHI and ASSETS. Other publications at top-tier journals and conferences include IJHCS, IJHCI, TACCESS, BIT, UbiComp, IUI, and ISS.
João has been awarded four best paper distinctions (CHI’14, ITS’15, W4A’19, ISS'20), a Google Student Award, and an Accessibility Challenge Delegates Award (Best Demonstration at W4A’19)..