- Sousa VC, Zélé F, Rodrigues LR, Godinho DP, Charlery de la Masselière M, Magalhães S (2019) Rapid host-plant adaptation in the herbivorous spider mite Tetranychus urticae occurs at low cost. CURRENT OPINION IN INSECT SCIENCE 36, 82-89 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cois.2019.08.006
- Sikora M*, Pitulko VV*, Sousa VC*, Allentoft ME* et al (2019) The population history of northeastern Siberia since the Pleistocene. NATURE 570:182-188 https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-019-1279-z (*shared first authorship)
- Hey J, Chung Y, Sethuraman A, Lachance J, Tishkoff S, Sousa VC, Wang Y (2018) Phylogeny Estimation by Integration over Isolation with Migration Models. MOLECULAR BIOLOGY AND EVOLUTION 35:2805-2818. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msy162
- de Manuel M*, Kuhlwilm M *, Frandsen P*, Sousa VC, Desai T et al (2016) Chimpanzee genomic diversity reveals ancient admixture with bonobos. SCIENCE 354: 477-481. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aag2602
- Malaspinas AS*, Westaway MC*, Muller C*, Sousa VC*, Lao O*, Alves I*, Bergström A* et al (2016) A genomic history of Aboriginal Australians. NATURE 538: 207-214 https://doi.org/10.1038/nature18299 (*shared first authorship)
ContactosCentre for Ecology, Evolution and Environmental Changes
Ext. Principal 22577
Carreira Docente Universitário
Categoria Professor Auxiliar
I conducted my Ph.D. at the Gulbenkian Science Institute (IGC, Oeiras, Portugal) and received my degree from the University of Lisbon in 2010. I was then a postdoctoral researcher in Jody Hey’s lab (Rutgers University, New Jersey, USA) from 2010 to 2013, and in Laurent Excoffier’s lab (University of Bern and Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics, Switzerland) from 2013 to 2016.
As a population geneticist with a background in biology, I aim to understand the evolutionary processes that shape observed genomic patterns. In my research I address fundamental evolutionary biology questions from a genomics perspective. Specifically, I am interested in the interplay between recombination, genetic drift, gene flow and natural selection. I combine population genetics theory, statistics and computer programming to develop new bioinformatic tools, with their application to genomic data from natural and experimental populations. I have worked on several population genomics projects, resulting in more than 30 articles, including publications in top journals, e.g. Nature, Science, PLoS Genetics, Molecular Biology and Evolution. These covered several topics in evolutionary biology, ranging from human genomics, speciation (e.g. cichlids, rabbits, Iberian freshwater fish), ecological divergence (e.g. sawfly insects) and genetic basis of adaptation (e.g. deer mice, lizards), to applications in conservation genetics of lemurs and freshwater fish. I regularly present my work at international meetings (SMBE, ESEB), and I am invited to give plenary talks (e.g. Petit Pois Déridé), seminars (e.g. University of Aarhus) and teach at workshops (e.g. prestigious Population and Speciation Genomics at Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic). I am also involved in teaching, training and student supervision. I have participated in international grant review panels (Wellcome Trust, NERC, Swiss National Science Foundation), and performed reviewing work for more than 20 international journals. I was a Marie Sklodowska-Curie Individual Fellow in 2018-2019. In 2020 I was awarded a Young Researcher grant from Human Frontier Science Program.
Genómica populacional; Bioinformática e Biologia Computacional; Genómica humana; Genómica da adaptação; Fluxo genético e hibridação
Population Genomics; Bioinformatics and computacional biology; Human genomics; Genomics of adaptation; Gene flow and hybridization