Maria Manuela Coelho
ContactosDepartamento de Biologia Animal
Ext. Principal 22369
Telefone Direto 217500000
Carreira Docente Universitário
Categoria Professor Catedrático
Full Prof. Department of Animal Biology
University of Lisbon
I have the supervision of Undergraduate and Postgraduate degrees in “Evolutionary Biology and Development” and the coordination of Doctoral Program in “Biodiversity, Genetics and Evolution”. We are also training senior researchers in Evolutionary Genomics.
Key Research Interests
My present interest is to apply wide-approach genomic methodologies to answer new questions in functional genomics, particularly in non-model organisms, relating evolution to ecology.
My group is using transcriptomics and epigenomics (informed by ecological and physiological data) to study the ability of natural populations of vertebrates to adapt to environmental challenges, such as warming, hypoxia and pollution. One of the main research interest is how freshwater fish species cope with extreme events driven by climate in their native rivers.
I'm also interested in the study of selective changes and its potential role in diversifications of natural populations and speciation of vertebrates.
I have been also studying sex determination, gene regulation and epigenetic mechanisms in a polyploid fish.
Moreover, I am continuing studies on phylogeny, phylogeography and population genetics, mainly in fish and other vertebrates.
- Jesus T. F., Moreno J.M., Repolho T. , Athanasiadis A. , Rosa R. , Almeida-Val V.M. F. , Coelho M. M. 2017. Protein analysis and gene expression indicate differential vulnerability of Iberian fish species under a climate change scenario. PLoS ONE 12(7): e0181325.
- Silva A.C., Bragg J.G., Potter S., Fernandes C., Coelho M.M., Moritz C. 2017. Tropical specialist vs. climate generalist: Diversification and demographic history of sister species of Carlia skinks from northwestern Australia. Molecular Ecology. DOI: 10.1111/mec.14185
- Genomic Resources Development Consortium, Almeida-Val, V.M.F., Boscari, E., Coelho, M.M., Congiu, L., Grapputo, A., Grosso, A.R., Jesus, T.F., Luebert, F., Mansion, G., Muller, L.A.H., Töre, D., Vidotto, M. & Zane, L. 2015. Molecular Ecology Resources 15: 1256–1257.
- Cunha C., Doadrio I. & Coelho M.M. 2008. Speciation towards tetraploidization after intermediate processes of non-sexual reproduction. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 363(1505):2921-2929.
- Pala I., Coelho M.M. & Schartl M. 2008. Dosage compensation by gene-copy silencing in a triploid hybrid fish. Current Biology 18(17):1344-1348.