- Duarte, J.C., Schellart, W.P., Rosas, F.R., 2018. The future of Earth’s oceans: consequences of subduction initiation in the Atlantic and implications for supercontinent formation. Geological Magazine
- Duarte, J.C., Schellart, W.P., Cruden, A.R., 2015. How weak is the subduction zone interface? Geophysical Research Letters 41, 1-10.
- Duarte, J.C., Schellart, W.P., Cruden, A.R., 2014. Rheology of petrolatum - paraffin oil mixtures: applications to analogue modelling of geological processes. Journal of Structural Geology 63, 1-11.
- Duarte, J.C., Schellart, W.P., Cruden, A.R., 2013. Three-dimensional dynamic laboratory models of subduction with an overriding plate and variable interplate rheology. Geophysical Journal International 195, 47-66.
- Duarte, J.C., Rosas, F.M., Terrinha, P., Schellart, W.P., Boutelier, D., Gutscher, M.A., Ribeiro, A., 2013. Are subduction zones invading the Atlantic? Evidence from the SW Iberia margin. Geology 41, 839-842.
Joao C. Duarte
ContactosDepartamento de Geologia
Carreira Docente Universitário
Categoria Professor Auxiliar
Coordinator of the Marine Geology and Geophysics Group at the Instituto Dom Luiz, Faculty of Sciences
Joao Duarte obtained his PhD in Geology/Geodynamics from the University of Lisbon in 2012. In 2011, he moved to the Monash University (Melbourne, Australia) for a PostDoc where he stayed until 2015 as a Research Fellow. He moved back to Lisbon in late 2015. João has been working in the tectonics of the SW Iberia, subduction zones (analogue models), slab-plumes interactions (analogue models), supercontinental cycles and Wilson cycles, among several other topics. At the present, his main lines of research are subduction initiation (subduction invasion of the Atlantic), oceanic transform plate boundaries and fracture zones and global supertides.
2017 - Arne Richter Award for Outstanding Early Career Scientist from the European Geosciences Union
2014 - Discovery Early Career Researcher Award from the Australian Research Council
2011 - IPGP Foreign Student Award for outstanding PhD research from the Institute de Physique du Globe de Paris
Tectónica, Geodinâmica, Modelação, Geologia Marinha, Geofísica
Tectonics, Geodynamics, Modelling, Marine Geology, Geophysics