- Schellart, W.P., Chen, Z., Strak, V., Duarte, J.C, Rosas, F.M. (2019). Pacific subduction control on Asian continental deformation including Tibetan extension and eastward extrusion tectonics. Nature Communications. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-019-12337-9
- Rosas, F.M., Duarte, J.C., Almeida, P., Schellart, W.P., Riel, N., Terrinha, P., 2017. Analogue modelling of thrust systems: passive vs. active hanging wall strain accommodation and sharp vs. smooth fault-ramp geometries. Journal of Structural Geology, 99:45-69. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jsg.2017.05.002
- Rosas, F.M., Duarte, J.C., Schellart, W.P., Tomás, R., Grigorova, V., Terrinha, P., 2015. Analog modeling of different angle thrust-wrench fault interference in a brittle medium. Journal of Structural Geology, 74: 81-104. doi:10.1016/j.jsg.2015.03.005.
- Duarte, J.C., Rosas, F.M., Terrinha, P., Schellart, W.P., Boutelier, D., Gutscher, M.-A., Ribeiro, A., 2013. Are subduction zones invading the Atlantic? Evidence from the southwest Iberia margin. Geology, doi:10.1130/G34100.1.
Filipe M. Rosas
ContactosDepartamento de Geologia
Ext. Principal 26258 Ext. Alt 26273
Telefone Direto +351 217 500 375
Carreira Docente Universitário
Categoria Professor Auxiliar
Filipe Medeiros Rosas firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Professor with Habilitation (Department of Geology)
My research is mainly focused on using analogue and numerical geodynamic modelling techniques applied to the resolution of different tectonic problems at different scales.
I have recently been testing prevailing interpretative conjectures of the tectonic evolution of different segments of the Eurasia-Africa (Nubia) plate boundary (offshore SW Iberia and NW Morocco).
Recent carried out geodynamic models include: morpho rheological obstacles across strike-slip systems and related morpho-tectonic patterns; different crust rheological control on delocalised vs. narrow rift-related structures; active vs. passive strain accommodation above thrust ramps systems of different geometries; fault interference and associated stress transfer between active thrust and strike-slip faults.
One of my main research topics of interest is the Alpine (late-Miocene) tectonic reactivation of the South and Southwest Iberian margin, and specifically the use of geodynamic modelling to test the possibility of induced subduction initiation along this (still) passive margin (in which seismogenic /tsunamigenic source of the 1755 Great Lisbon Earthquake is thought to be located).
As a professor at University of Lisbon (Faculty of Science, Geology Department) I am presently responsible for the Tectonophysics course (MSc in Geophysical Sciences) and for the Experimental and Numerical Modelling of Geological Processes course (MSc in Geology – Structural Geology). I also teach the practical courses of Structural Geology (Geology degree) and Computational Methods in Geology (Geology degree).
I am also a Tutor (off-campus) of Heriot-Watt University - ISPG, where I teach the Petroleum Geoscience course in the MSc degree of Petroleum Engineering
• Analogue and Numerical Modelling:
- Sheath fold formation under co-axial and non-coaxial shear regimes;
- Tectonic thrust-wrench fault interference and related stress transference;
- Morpho-tectonic gauge of active strike-slip faulting under pure simple shear or transpressive regimes.
- Rheological control on narrow vs. delocalized rifting fault patterns;
- Passive vs. active strain accommodation above thrust ramp systems of different geometries (flat-ramp-flat or convex-concave);
- Pre-tectonic morpho-rheological perturbations across active strike-slip systems;
- Dynamics of induced subduction initiation by oceanic plateau docking and polarity reversal (subduction flip).
• Tectonic continental collision and build-up of orogenic belts during the Variscan cycle in SW Iberia.
• Tectonics of the Eurasia - Africa (Nubia) plate boundary in NE Atlantic: the discrete dextral strike-slip transform Gloria Fault and its link to the Gulf of Cadiz diffuse plate boundary.
• Morpho-tectonic analysis and interpretation of combined multi-beam swath bathymetry and reflection seismic profiles.