Helder Manuel Ferreira Coelho
ContactosDepartamento de Informática
Ext. Principal 26306
Telefone Direto 217500122
Carreira Docente Universitário
Categoria Professor Catedrático
Helder Coelho is a retired and emeritus full professor of the University of Lisbon (UL) in the Department of Informatics of the Faculty of Sciences, from August 1995. He is a permanent and elected member of the National Academy of Engineering (1999). ECCAI fellow (2002). He was Chair of the Executive Board of Iberamia from 1996-2010. Member of the Advisory Council of Iberamia (2010-). He was member of IFIP TEC12 (AI) and Chair of IFIP WG12.3 (Agents). Editor of the International Journal of Artificial Intelligence (Ceser Publications) and of the Progress in Artificial Intelligence (Springer). He was President of the Institute for Complexity Sciences from 2004-08. Conference Chair of ECAI-2010 in Lisbon, Program Chair of IBERAMIA-1998, and Program Co-Chair with Jaime Sichman of SBIA/IBERAMIA-2000 and 2006. He is currently member of the Advisory Board of EPIA/APPIA Congress, member of the Steering Committee of MASTA and the BWSS Workshops, and PC member of AAMAS Conference (2008-16).
He graduated in Electrical Engineering at the Lisbon Institute of Technology of the Technical University of Lisbon (UTL) in 1968, obtained a degree of Informatics Expert at LNEC in 1980, under the supervision of Luis Moniz Pereira, his Ph.D. in Artificial Intelligence (AI) at the University of Edinburgh in 1980, under the supervision of David H. Warren, and the doctoral equivalence in Informatics Engineering in 1981 from the New University of Lisbon (UNL). He also got the degree of Aggregation in Mathematics in 1988 from UTL.
His research career started at INETI (ex-LFEN), the National Laboratory for Nuclear Physics in 1968, and in 1973 he moved to the National Laboratory for Civil Engineering (LNEC). He was attached as a scientist to the National Laboratory for Civil Engineering (LNEC) for 16 years, where he co-founded the portuguese AI in 1973. He was involved with the Logic Programming project and he became his leader in 1978. He studied Artificial Intelligence under the guidance of Luis Moniz Pereira, Bernard Meltzer, Robert Kowalski and Alain Colmerauer. He was coordinator of several PIDDAC projects at LNEC, namely "Information Technologies for Administrative Systems" and "Intelligent Buildings", two JNICT projects on intelligent buildings (one with INESC). He was active participant in SPRINT project RA41 "Expert Systems for Building Services".
Inteligência Artificial (Agentes Inteligentes), Ciência Cognitiva, Ciência da Complexidade.
Alvos Pedagógicos: M/D em Ciência Cognitiva (Universidade de Lisboa), M/D em Ciência da Complexidade para as Organizações (FCUL e ISCTE)
Artificial Intelligence (Intelligent Agents), Cognitive Science and Complexity Science.
See: Google Scholar, ResearchGate.
- Caraça, J. M. e Coelho, H. (Eds.) Power, Leadership and Complexity, em honra do professor António Gouveia Portela (Proceedings of the 12th Arrábida Workshop on Complexity 2012), IST Press, 2015.
- Coelho, H. Living with Digital Worlds: A Personal View of Artificial Intelligence, Chapter 2 of Current and Future Developments in Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 1, pp. 60-93, Faria Nassiri-Mofakham, F. (Ed.), 9781681085029-17-1401 (to be published as e-Book, Bentham, 2017).
- Lemos, C. M., Coelho, H. e Lopes, R. J. ProtestLab - A Computational Laboratory for Studying Street Protests, in Nemiche, M. and Essaaidi, M. (Eds.), Advances in Complex Societal, Environmental and Engineered Systems, Non Linear Systems and Complexity Series, www.springer.co/us/book/9783319461632, pp. 3-29, Springer, 2017.
- Lemos, C.; Lopes, R.J. e Coelho, H. On Legitimacy Feedback Mechanisms in Agent-Based Modelling of Civil Violence, International Journal of Intelligent Systems, 2015.
- Antunes, L., Nunes, D. e Coelho, H. Geometry of Desire, Proceedings of AAMAS2014, Paris, May 5-9, ACM Press, 2014.