Fostering scientific literacy – for the University students and society in general – is one of FCUL’s responsibilities and should be organised through simple formats capable of reaching people with specific needs or simply with the desire to know.
Therefore, FCUL promotes a wide range of programmes that do not award a degree:
- Course units in Cultural, Social and Ethical Training (FCSE) that are electives, allowing students at FCUL to build their own educational profile. Every school year the students at FCUL can apply to attend the course units with vacancies. Consult the list of FCSE course units;
- Certain course units that allow students to broaden and update their knowledge and attain multidisciplinary training. Every school year the general public and students at FCUL can apply in accordance with the Regulation;
- Minors that consist of 30 ECTS, chosen from a pre-established group of course units from the same area, allow students more flexibility in their studies and complements their academic degree. Every school year the general public and students at FCUL can apply in accordance with the Regulation. Consult the list of Minors;
- Open Courses at FCUL (CLCs) that relate to a diversity of the main themes at the Faculty, not only regarding exact or natural sciences, mathematical sciences, information sciences, computer sciences, but also in cross-disciplinary themes such as entrepreneurship and innovation. Students will have the possibility of complementing their education with relevant themes during their academic career which will unlock new perspectives or encourage knowledge crossover. The CLCs also give lifelong learning opportunities to those who have already left university. Every year there are several courses available that are governed by the Regulation;
- Non-Awarding Degree Postgraduate Programmes aimed at continuing education, furthering or acquiring techniques and knowledge in certain professional areas, or the opening of new scientific areas and the acquisition of practical or technical skills in specialised areas for students who concluded the 1st cycle. Every school year the general public and students at FCUL can apply in accordance with the Regulation. Consult the list of non-awarding degree postgraduates courses.