The International Student is the one that does not have Portuguese nationality.
Who cannot apply as an International Student?
- Nationals of a European Union country;
- Those, who are not nationals of a European Union country, and live in Portugal for more than two years, uninterruptedly, at 31st August of the year intended to register and enroll in a higher education establishment. For studying purposes the length of residence, with residence permit, is not relevant;
- Those who want to register and enroll through the Special Conditions of Entrance (Decreto-Lei nº. 393-A/99, de 2 de outubro, alterado pelo Decreto-Lei nº. 272/2009, de 1 de outubro);
- Foreign students that are currently registered and enrolled at a Portuguese higher education institution through an international mobility programme, in order to complete part of a cycle of studies from a foreign higher education institution, with whom the Portuguese institution has established an exchange agreement for that purposes.
All the information available on the special access for International Students can be found in the following legislation:
- Decreto-Lei nº. 36/2014, de 10 de março;
- Despacho nº. 8175-B/2014, de 23 de junho;
- Despacho nº. 8295/2015, de 29 de julho;
- Despacho nº. 750/2016, de 15 de janeiro.
The first document (Decreto-Lei nº. 36/2014, de 10 de março) establishes the International Student conditions and the requirements that an applicant must have in order to apply to a higher education institution. The subsequent two documents present regulatory norms and changes. The last item (Despacho D/77/2015, de 15 de dezembro), establishes the norms and requirements that an applicant must posess in order to apply to Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa through the special access for International Students (Regulamento de Ingresso e Acesso para Estudantes Internacionais da Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa).
For more information on how to apply, application instructions, conditions of entrance and fees please access here.