1st period of applications: 01st July - 14th August 2019
2nd period of applications: 02nd December 2019 - 17th January 2020
The following content concerns the 2018/2019 application process - updated information for the 2019/2020 application process available soon.
Admission and application conditions
Please read Public Notice;
Please read the selection criteria for 2018/2019.
In order to apply for a 3rd Cycle course/PhD “Doutoramentos” Degree, the international student must have:
- Master “Mestrado” degree concluded or the legal equivalence or
- “Licenciatura” degree or legal equivalence, holder of a relevant scholar or scientific curriculum vitae, that provides the competences required to be enrolled in the specialization area of the PhD programme.
Consider as legal equivalence to the degree of “Licenciatura” and “Mestrado” (Master), the equivalence and recognition of qualifications provided for in Decreto-Lei n.º 283/83, 21 de junho and Decreto-Lei n.º 341/2007, de 12 de outubro.
The validity of the referred degrees must be confirmed by the competent authority of the state from which the documents are originated.
The Final Certificates/Diplomas must be certified by the Portuguese consular services or be presented with the Apostille (Hague Convention) by the competent authority of the state from which the documents are originated, and whenever they are not issued in Portuguese, English, French or Spanish, they must be translated into one of these languages (validated by the consular or embassy services).
In order to apply for a 3rd Cycle course, international students must demonstrate the knowledge and expertise required by the course for which they are applying for.
1. User account creation
Applicant/Student from FCUL, with valid account – login with your student number and password at https://fenix.ciencias.ulisboa.pt/ and access to the application form in the tab “Candidate”.
Applicant/Student from FCUL, without a valid account – you must request new access credentials through one of the following ways:
- By e-mail to email@example.com indicating your student number and full name;
- At the IT Unit (C1 Building, Room 1.2.10).
Afterwards you can access to the application form https://fenix.ciencias.ulisboa.pt/ in the tab “Candidate”.
Other Applicants – you must create an account at https://fenix.ciencias.ulisboa.pt/accountCreation.
Once the account has been created, an e-mail indicating the login (bennuXXXXX) will be sent to the address specified in the form.
To proceed with the application, login at https://fenix.ciencias.ulisboa.pt/ and fill the application form available in the Tab “Candidate”. If you do not receive the e-mail, make sure to check your mailbox SPAM folder.
You can request a new e-mail or recover a forgotten password in https://fenix.ciencias.ulisboa.pt/passwordResetRequest. If the problem persist, feel free to contact support services on firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Choose the Course to which you are applying for.
3. Fill in all the fields presented in the application “tabs”.
4. Gather the required and mandatory documents for upload, namely:
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Degree Diploma 1 or legal equivalence 2;
- Grades Certificate 1;
- Grades Programmes (stamped and signed by the institution of higher education);
- Sworn Statement (declaration on honour and signed by the applicant, stating that she/he has not the Portuguese nationality and is not included in any of the special conditions which confirm the International Student Status, according to the International Student Statute, approved by legislation (artigo 3.º do Decreto-Lei n.º 36/2014 de 10 de março);
- Identity Card or Passport - optional;
- Work plan indicating the general objectives to be achieved;
- Guidance acceptance statement(s) of supervisor(s);
- Motivation letter;
- Declaration, issued by the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (SEF), authorizing legal permanence in Portugal, (this document should be sent or delivered until the day of registration/enrollment).
1 Attention: The Certificates/Diploma must by certified by the Portuguese consular service or be presented with the Apostille (Hague Convention) by the competent authority of the state from which the documents are originated, and whenever they are not issued in Portuguese, English, French or Spanish, they must be translated into one of these languages (validated by the consular or embassy services). At the time of registration/enrollment, should submit the originals of certificates and identification for confirmation.
2 Consider as legal equivalence to the degree of “Licenciatura” and “Mestrado” (Master), the equivalence and recognition of qualifications provided for in Decreto-Lei nº 283/83, 21 de junho and Decreto-Lei nº 341/2007, de 12 de outubro.
5. Upload the required documents within the Application Form;
Candidates that do not provide all the documents required as instructed will be automatically rejected.
6. Submit application;
7. Make the payment of the application fee in the amount of 60,00Euros.
The payment of the application fee can be done in two different ways:
- Bank transfer - for applicants who does not have a Portuguese bank account and does not live in Portugal (applicant must submit the payment proof in the application form);
- ATM Payment (SIBS) - the payment is only possible for applicants with a Portuguese bank account.
Payments must be made during the respective application Period.
Throughout the application procedure students will be notified by e-mail and will be able to check their status.