1st period of applications: 05th June - 12th July 2019
2nd period of applications: 12th August - 26th August 2019
Admission and application conditions
Please read Public Notice.
Please read the selection criteria for 2019/2020 (this document is currently being updated).
In order to apply for a Master Degree, the international student must have:
- 1st Cycle Degree concluded, or legal equivalence;
- Holder of a foreign academic Degree conferred after concluding a 1st Cycle Degree of studies, organized according to the Bologna Process, by a Member State adhering to this process;
- Holder of a foreign academic Degree that is recognized by the Scientific Board of the higher education institution for which they are applying for (this recognition must meet the purposes of a 1st Cycle Degree);
- Holder of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that is recognized as attesting the capacity to accomplish this cycle of studies by the Scientific Board of the higher education institution for which they are applying for.
Consider as legal equivalence to the degree of “Licenciatura (1st Cycle)” and Master (“Mestrado”), the equivalence and recognition of qualifications granted by Decreto-Lei n.º 283/83, 21 de junho, Decreto-Lei n.º 341/2007, de 12 de outubro and recognitions provided by Decreto-Lei n.º 66/2018, de 16 de agosto and Portaria n.º 33/2019, de 25 de janeiro.
The validity of the referred degrees must be confirmed by the competent authority of the state from which the documents are originated. The Final Certificates/Diplomas must be certified by the Portuguese consular services or be presented with the Apostille (Hague Convention) by the competent authority of the state from which the documents are originated, and whenever they are not issued in Portuguese, English, French or Spanish, they must be translated into one of these languages.
In order to apply for a 2nd Cycle course, international students must demonstrate the knowledge and expertise required by the course for which they are applying for and a proof of language skills appropriate to the frequency of the course.
1. User account creation
Applicant/Student from FCUL, with valid account – login with your student number and password at https://fenix.ciencias.ulisboa.pt/ and access to the application form in the tab “Candidate”.
Applicant/Student from FCUL, without a valid account – you must request new access credentials through one of the following ways:
- By e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating your student number and full name;
- At the IT Unit (C1 Building, Room 1.2.10).
Afterwards you can access to the application form https://fenix.ciencias.ulisboa.pt/ in the tab “Candidate”.
Other Applicants – you must create an account at https://fenix.ciencias.ulisboa.pt/accountCreation.
Once the account has been created, an e-mail indicating the login (bennuXXXXX) will be sent to the address specified in the form.
To proceed with the application, login at https://fenix.ciencias.ulisboa.pt/ and fill the application form available in the Tab “Candidate”. If you do not receive the e-mail, make sure to check your mailbox SPAM folder.
You can request a new e-mail or recover a forgotten password in https://fenix.ciencias.ulisboa.pt/passwordResetRequest. If the problem persist, feel free to contact support services on email@example.com.
2. Choose the Course to which you are applying for.
3. Fill in all the fields presented in the application “tabs”.
4. Gather the required and mandatory documents for upload, namely:
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Degree Diploma;
- Grades Certificate;
- Grades Programmes (stamped and signed by the institution of higher education) - only for applicants whose degree or legal equivalent is from a foreign institution outside of European Union countries;
- Sworn Statement (declaration on honour and signed by the applicant, stating that she/he has not the Portuguese nationality and is not included in any of the special conditions which confirm the International Student Status, according to the International Student Statute, approved by legislation (artigo 3.º do Decreto-Lei n.º 36/2014 de 10 de março) - Draft;
- Identity Card or Passport - optional;
- Motivation letter;
- Declaration, stating the acknowledgment of the degree and the Higher Education Institution, (issued by DGES in Portugal - only apply to candidates whose Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is from a foreign institution outside of European Union countries);
- Declaration, issued by the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Services, authorizing legal permanence in Portugal (this document should be sent or delivered until the day of registration/enrollment);
- Proof of knowledge of English or Portuguese language (if applicable).
Attention: The Certificates/Diploma must by certified by the Portuguese consular service or be presented with the Apostille (Hague Convention) by the competent authority of the state from which the documents are originated, and whenever they are not issued in Portuguese, English, French or Spanish, they must be translated into one of these languages (validated by the consular or embassy services).
5. Upload the required documents within the Application Form;
Candidates that do not provide all the documents required as instructed will be automatically rejected.
6. Submit application;
7. Make the payment of the application fee in the amount of 60,00Euros.
The payment of the application fee can be done in:
- Bank transfer - applicant must submit the payment proof in the application form.
Payments must be made during the respective application Period.
Throughout the application procedure students will be notified by e-mail and will be able to check their status.
Choice of courses
Applicants that have applied to more than one course, and have been accepted in both of them, must inform the the Postgraduate Studies Area (firstname.lastname@example.org), as soon as the results are public, of the course that intend to register/enroll. If our services do not get this information in time both applications will be rejected.
For applications to 2nd Cycle course - submit here.
Payment of deposit
As defined in the International Student’s Public Notice, for 2nd Cycle/Master course applicants, after the result’s outcome, the applicants admitted in the 1st and 2nd Period must pay the deposit (€500,00), as requested.
Please consult the Despacho D/55/2015.
Deadlines for the payment of the deposit:
Applicants admitted on the 1st period: until 5 (five working days) after the result’s outcome;
Applicants admitted on the 2nd period: until 2 (two working days) after the result’s outcome.
The deposit must be paid by bank transfer to:
Faculdade de Ciências
SWIFT CODE/BIC: CGDIPTPL
After this payment the applicant must send the proof of the payment to email@example.com , referring the name of the Applicant/Candidate.